Friday, June 13, 2014

Being Avery's Dad


Welcome to our 3rd Annual Salute to Rett Dads! Each day this week leading up to Father's Day, we will share a blog written by a father of a girl suffering from Rett Syndrome. Later in the week we will share a video slideshow of over 100 dads with their beautiful girls.

Just because these girls have Rett Syndrome does not mean they are not still "Daddy's Little Girl" .... times one million! To all the Rett Dads - thank you for your special role in raising these very special girls.

Other blogs this week:
Rockin' Out in Rettville - by Eli Callaway
Inspired by Catherine - by Gordon Christie
Superpowers - by Jeremy Springhart
My Princess, My Everyday Light - by Juan Diego Perez



Written by:  Bryan Beeson

I was always so excited to become a father and was absolutely thrilled when the first of the four best days of my life occurred in March 2006 with the birth of our daughter Avery Grace.   Avery was a happy baby who was normal in every way, and being her dad was a natural and easy transition that I welcomed with open arms.  

When Avery was a little over a year old, things took a turn, and we all watched in horror as she slowly drifted away from the social, smiley baby she was, into a withdrawn, isolated toddler in her own world.  Avery was diagnosed with Autism before her second birthday, and as the years passed, and her motor and language skills continued to regress, it became evident that perhaps we were dealing with more than just Autism.  

Avery was finally diagnosed with Rett Syndrome at the age of seven, though her disability is never what I have seen as her dad.  As Avery’s dad, I see my beautiful, hardworking, precious daughter that I love with all of my heart.  Avery, as my first born, made me a father, yet she has taught me far more than I could ever teach her.  She teaches me how to love unconditionally, and to stay optimistic and hopeful as much as possible.  She teaches me to live in the present, and though I worry about her future, she reminds me to l go with the flow and work hard in everything I do, and take nothing for granted.  She makes me a better man and a better father to all of my children.   

Everything for Avery is hard, but loving her is easy.  I hate that Avery will miss out on so much because of what Rett Syndrome has stolen from her, but I am so thankful that she is happy, and I will live my life making sure she is loved and comfortable.  I never knew what to expect when it came to being a dad, and it is amazing how easy it is to love someone so much who has so much trouble showing that love in return. 

Avery inspires me and everyone who loves her, if they just take the time to know her.  I feel honored and blessed that I get to be her dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment