Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Looking at the Bright Side"


With Father's Day coming up this Sunday, we asked Rett Dads to be our guest bloggers for the week. Just because these girls have Rett Syndrome does not mean they are not still "Daddy's Little Girl" .... times one million! To all the Rett Dads - thank you for your special role in raising these very special girls.



Today's post is from Wally Trester, Courtney's dad


That moment in time that we were told our daughter Courtney had Rett Syndrome remains as vivid of a memory as the other ones someone would cherishes such as a wedding or the birth of your children.  I don’t know if it was the realization of the life I was soon to discover, or the one I was leaving behind.  I was still young at heart, and tried to live to the lifestyle.  

Kind of carefree to the rest of the world and only worried about things that mattered to my family and me.  I look back at that time in my life as the hardest test I would ever encounter.  I had just started a new position in the company I work for, things were going great.  I then decide to take on College – something I and many others thought would never happen.  Then things began to take a turn, Courtney’s development was not what it should have been and the extensive testing begins.  Test after more test, medical bills upon more medical bills and the stress of life starts to build.  As the testing continues the dark depths of the unknown continued to grow.  I remember there was one point in time where I thought something has to give – the question was what was it going to be.  

Then the call came in and we now knew what the problem was, and reality came crashing down.  I know what I was doing up to the point that I got the call, but I don’t remember much after the call.

Something happened that day that changed me forever…

I now have a different look on life.  Much of it comes from the experience my daughter has endured.  When things seem like they are at their worst, or I can’t continue on. I reflect back everything my daughter has endured in her nearly 6 years of dealing with Rett Syndrome.  I look at this entire experience and remain humble for what we do have and the things we can do.  

As I know there are others out there in far worse situations.  Had it not been for Rett Syndrome, I don’t think I would be the kind of man I am today.  I would not have had the opportunity to meet so many great people, or help raise awareness for a great cause.  While I hate Rett Syndrome for what it is and how it robs our girls, I’m thankful of the things it has taught me.

So when I think I’ve hit that point that I can’t continue on, I just think about the all the things Courtney endures in a day and the challenges I have already overcome – think of the bright side of the situation and persevere.  Pray for the CURE to give my baby girl the life she deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment