Monday, October 11, 2010

Pathways to Learning in Rett Syndrome




Happy Monday RettGirls!

Today we want to tell you about this wonderful book titled Pathways To Learning In Rett Syndrome by Jackie Lewis and Debbie Wilson. We have this incredible resource under Books, Communication and School Categories at RettGirl.org

I stumbled upon this book right before my own daughter started pre-school. I was in my local book store trying to find something, anything in the Health and Special Needs section that would help me explain Rett to the school as she was about to have her placement testing and I was scared to death that they wouldn't get it, that they wouldn't get her.

After an hour or more of pouring through the Autism, Sensory and Neurological disorder books and manuals I had found nothing. Only that one little paragraph in the back of the spectrum book that had made me pass out months before.

I went to the customer service counter and asked them to type in Rett Syndrome and only a handful of titles showed up. The clerk then remembered that she has ordered this book for another parent not too long before. She took a look at my girl and told me she would order the book and give me 72 hours to look through it and if I didn't want it I could return it to the store for a full refund.

This book didn't get returned. Within hours of receiving it I had page after page highlighted on how Rett Syndrome affected my own daughter. Before this book I had no idea how to explain Apraxia and how you have to wait for an answer. This book has so many things that we as parents see and know but don't necessarily know how to articulate in a way that an educator or therapist will understand. You will find it all in this book.

I wish someone had told me about this wonderful resource and that it wasn't something I had to search for and stumble upon on my own. This is exactly the reason RettGirl.org was formed. So all parents, caregivers, educators and doctors would be a click away from invaluable information to make life any easier on all of us affected. That is our our mission.


http://rettgirl.org/2010/08/pathways-to-learning-in-rett-syndrome/


Terri V- For RettGirl

1 comment:

  1. This is a great book. It helped me a lot to work out what Amy needed, and helped me construct our contribution to her statement of special educational needs. Definitely worth getting hold of.

    ReplyDelete